Read online (selected)
- “The Ordinary Woman Theory,” Paris Review Daily
- “On the Anxiety of Writing Historical Fiction: A User’s Manual,” Lit Hub
- “Naming Makes Visible: Building a Craft Vocabulary,” Craft
- “A Fiction Writer Takes Off Her Shoes,” Brevity
- “Revision Advice from the Judges’ Table,” Brevity
- “The Glory of the Bad Idea,” The Kenyon Review
About other things:
- “Baseline,” Territory
- “Live Demonstrations of Love,” AGNI Online
- “You’re the Kids Who Robbed Us,” Salon
- “Prayer for the Moth, but also for the Spider,” Memorious.
Read in print (selected)
- “The Six Answers on the Back of a Trivial Pursuit Card,”anthologized in The Shell Game: Writers Play With Borrowed Forms, ed. Kim Adrian and The Spirit of Disruption: Landmark Essays from the Normal School,ed. Steven Church. Originally appeared in The Normal School.
- “Pesäpallo: Playing at the Edge of the World,” anthologized in True Stories, Well Told: from the First 20 Years of Creative Nonfiction Magazine, eds. Lee Gutkind and Hattie Fletcher and Anatomy of Baseball, eds. Andrew Blauner and Lee Gutkind. Originally appeared in Creative Nonfiction.
- “Year of the Dogs,” The Southern Review.